We’ve all seen Nike’s ‘Just Do It’ slogan. It’s powerful: don’t think about it, don’t make excuses, just do it. It’s that simple. But it’s not that easy. Do you ever have days where you just don’t want to do it? Whatever ‘it’ is, eating healthy, working out, studying…I do. Yes. So many days. It’s usually when I’m tired, maybe a little burnt out and there isn’t a ton of pressure so I tell myself it doesn’t really matter and that’s that.
As I’ve learned the hard way, I generally regret not doing it. Not getting ahead on homework, not working out, not eating something healthy…I’m always disappointed that I didn’t do better. Here’s the thing, when we have a goal there will always be moments when we go a step backwards, that’s normal and it’s okay. Unfortunately, if those moments happen over and over again, we will never change. Recently I’ve found some ways that help me do what I’m supposed to do even when I don’t “feel like it,” hopefully these will help you when you’re feeling uninspired too!
1) Look at your vision board: If you haven’t made one of these yet, do it! Seriously, so many times that I’ve felt unmotivated just looking at a visual reminder of why it is I’m pursuing these goals does the trick. I go “oh yeah!” and feel motivated again.
2) Don’t think about it: I’ve kind of mentioned this before but it really helps if you make a plan and stick to it. If you start questioning whether or not you “feel like it” you’ll probably talk yourself out of it. So plan ahead and then when you see that it’s time to study, or go to the gym or clean your room, do it. Don’t think about how you’re tired and how you just want to watch Friends until you fall asleep, it won’t help!
3) Take Ten: Like I said before, usually when we’re really unmotivated is when we’re also tired. Before you jump into whatever you’re supposed to do, set a timer and just do something mindless for ten minutes: Go on Pinterest, watch a funny video on YouTube, stare at the ceiling… Make sure you are able to stop when that alarm goes off though, I know how easily ten minutes can turn into an hour.
4) Treat Yourself: Okay so it’s hard. It really is. Waking up early to go to the gym, studying when you could be sleeping…so reward yourself. If you go to the gym get a super delicious (and nutritious) smoothie afterward, after you study for an hour, read your favorite book for thirty minutes…rewarding yourself like this will create a positive reinforcement for doing things you usually don’t want to do!
5) Think Long-term: This goes hand in hand with the vision board. When you really don’t ‘feel like it’ and you are extremely tempted to just give up, think about the consequences…okay probably no one will die if you choose sleep an extra hour instead of working out, but you’ll get one step farther from reaching your goal, and you’ll be mad at yourself later! Think about if you do go, you’ll feel so good and be so much happier that you pulled through!
And REMEMBER: discipline is like a muscle, the more you use it the easier it gets. So flex that discipline muscle and Just Do It!
Let me know your thoughts, what helps you when you’re unmotivated?
Have a super productive week everyone! (And remember we’re halfway to Friday!)